Minimum requirements are as follows:
(a) Ceiling: R-44 insulation.
(b) Frame walls: R-19 (combined R-value of wall elements).
(c) Slab edge (on-grade): R-10 insulation, twenty-four (24) inches down from top of slab.
(d) Floors (over unheated spaces): R-30 insulation.
(e) Finished basement walls: R-14 (Combined R-value of wall elements).
(f) Crawl spaces: R-10 insulation. Shall be a conditioned space. Floor shall be covered with not less than three (3) inches of concrete.
(g) Windows: Minimum of double-glazed and maximum U-factor of .35.
(1) Sliding glass: Double-glazed, maximum U-value of .35.
(2) Swinging: Maximum U-value of .35 based on testing prior to installation of glazing.
(i) Weatherstripping/caulking: Whatever is necessary to minimize infiltration.
(j) HVAC equipment.
(1) Heat pumps – Heating mode:
a. COP=2.5/1.5 (air source).
b. COP=2.5 (water source).
(2) Boilers and furnaces: Combustion efficiency equals eighty (80) percent.
(3) Air Conditioners/heat pumps – Cooling: SEER minimum rating 13.0.
(4) Controls: Each system controlled by thermostat; heating system capable of setback to fifty-five (55) Fahrenheit; cooling system capable of setup to eighty-five (85) Fahrenheit.
(5) Ductwork: R-6 insulation when outside conditioned space; all transverse joints sealed.
(k) Water heating:
(1) Stand-by loss of fifteen (15) BTU per hour, per square foot, maximum; thermostat control and valve or switch to shut off completely.
(2) Showerheads: Three (3) gallons per minute, maximum.
(l) Insulate exterior of foundation of slab-on-grade heated structures or provide a thermal break between floor and exterior foundation.
Deviations from above requirements require approval of the code official.
Source: Ord. No. 3055, § 3, 2-16-82; Ord. No. 4702, § 3, 10-20-03; Ord. No. 4972, § 2, 9-17-07