The following sections of the one- and two-family dwelling code adopted in section 6-161 are hereby revised as follows:
Section R101.1: Insert “City of Norfolk”
Section R105.2 Work exempt from permit. Amend to read as follows:
Permits shall not be required for the following. Exemption from the permit requirements of this code shall not be deemed to grant authorization for any work to be done in any manner in violation of the provisions of this code or any other laws or ordinances of this jurisdiction.
1. One-story detached accessory structures, provided the floor area does not exceed 64 square feet.
2. Fences not over 6 feet high.
3. Retaining walls that are not over 4 feet in height measured from the top of finished grade to top of wall.
4. Water tanks supported directly upon grade if the capacity does not exceed 5,000 gallons and the ratio of height to diameter or width does not exceed 2 to 1.
5. Sidewalks and driveways not more than 30 inches above adjacent grade and not over any basement or story below.
6. Painting, papering, tiling, carpeting, cabinets, counter tops and similar finish work.
7. Prefabricated above ground swimming pools.
8. Swings and other playground equipment accessory to a one- or two-family dwelling.
9. Window awnings supported by an exterior wall.
10. Replacement of existing windows with like size windows where no structural alteration is required to affect said change. Window opening size shall not be substantially diminished by replacement and in no instance shall a casement or slider style window be replaced with a double-hung window style, unless minimum egress standard is met.
Section R106.3.1. Approval of construction documents. Delete this section.
Section R108.2 Schedule of permit fees. Add the Building Permit Fees set forth in Section 2-5 of the Norfolk City Code.
Section 110.3 Certificate Issued. Delete this section.
Section R112.1 General. Amend to read as follows:
Any person who is aggrieved by a decision, notice or order of the code official made pursuant to this article may appeal such decision, notice or order to the board of appeals established pursuant to the current building code in force and effect in the jurisdiction of the City of Norfolk, Nebraska. The procedure for said appeal shall be as published in said building code then currently in force and effect.
Section R113.4 Violation penalties. Amend to read as follows:
Any person, firm, or corporation violating any of the provisions of this code shall be guilty of an offense and shall be deemed guilty of a separate offense for each and every day or portion thereof during which any violation of any of the provisions of this code is committed, continued or allowed, and upon conviction of any such violation, such person shall be punishable by a fine of not more than five hundred dollars ($500.00).
Section R114.1 Notice to owner. Amend to read as follows:
Upon notice from the code official that work on any building or structure is being done contrary to the provisions of this code, such work shall immediately be stopped. The stop work order shall be in writing and shall be given to the owner of the property involved, or to the owner’s agent, or to the person doing the work; and shall state the conditions under which work will be permitted to be resumed.
Section R202 Definitions. Add definitions of “Sleeping Room” and “Building Envelope” as follows:
SLEEPING ROOM. Any room in a house that is greater than 70 square feet and has built-in closet space and typically could be used as a bedroom. This does not include rooms used for cooking, eating, family living, gathering, bathrooms, toilet rooms and halls.
BUILDING ENVELOPE. Building sections which separate inside, conditioned spaces from outside air.
Table R301.2(1): Insert the following design criteria information.
|Roof Snow Load:||30 lbs. per square foot|
|Ground Snow Load:||25 lbs. per square foot|
|Wind Speed:||90 mph|
|Seismic Design Category:||B|
|Subject to Damage from Weathering:||Severe|
|Subject to Damage from Frost Line Depth:||42 inches|
|Subject to Damage from Termite:||Moderate to Heavy|
|Subject to Damage from Decay:||None to Slight|
|Winter Design Temp:||4 Degrees|
|Flood Hazards:||Not Available|
Section R303.6 Stairway illumination. Amend to read as follows:
All interior and exterior stairways, serving a means of egress, shall be provided with a means to illuminate the stairs, including the landings and treads. Interior stairways shall be provided with an artificial light source located in the immediate vicinity of each landing of the stairway. Exterior stairways shall be provided with an artificial light source located in the immediate vicinity of the top landing of the stairway. Exterior stairways providing access to a basement from the outside grade level shall be provided with an artificial light source located in the immediate vicinity of the bottom landing of the stairway.
Section R309.2 Separation Required. Change 3 feet to 10 feet.
Section R311.5 Stairways. Add Exception: 1. Secondary stairways serving only storage and utility areas need not comply with rise height and tread depth.
Section R311.5.6 Handrails. Amend to read as follows:
Handrails shall be provided on at least one side of stairways consisting of three or more stair risers. Handrails shall have a minimum height of 30 inches and a maximum height of 38 inches measured vertically from the nosing of the treads. All required handrails shall be the full length of the stairway from a point directly above the top stair riser to a point directly above the lowest stair riser of the stairway. The handrail may have one break in it but shall not switch sides of the stairway. A minimum clear space of 1.5 inches shall be provided between the wall and handrail.
Section R322.214.171.124 Height. Delete this section.
Section R3126.96.36.199 Continuity. Delete this section.
Section R312.2 Guard opening limitation. Delete Exception 2.
Section R318.1 Moisture control. Amend to read as follows:
In all framed walls and floors of the building thermal envelope, a vapor retarder shall be installed on the warm-in-winter side of the insulation.
1. In construction where moisture or freezing will not damage the materials.
2. Where the frame cavity or space is ventilated to allow moisture to escape.
Section R319.1 Location required. Amend item 2 to read as follows:
2. All sills or plates that rest on concrete or masonry exterior walls.
Section R402.2 Concrete. Add the following sentence:
Garage floors and driveways or unreinforced concrete shall be a minimum of 5" thick. Reinforced concrete shall be a minimum of 4" thick.
Section R403.1.4.1 Frost Protection. Amend exceptions to read as follows:
1. Frost-protected footings constructed in accordance with Section R403.3 and footings and foundations erected on solid rock shall not be required to extend below the frost line.
2. Accessory buildings less than one hundred eighty (180) square feet shall not be required to be constructed with footings which extend below frost line. Concrete for slab on grade shall be a minimum of four (4) inches thick and a grid work of number 4 rebar four (4) foot on center.
Section R502.3 Allowable joist spans. Amend to read as follows:
Spans for floor joists shall be in accordance with Table R502.3.1(2). For other grades and species and for other loading conditions, refer to the AF & PA Span Tables for Joists and Rafters.
Section R502.3.1 Sleeping areas and attic joists. Delete this section.
Table R502.3.1(1) Floor Joist Spans For Common Lumber Species. Delete this table.
Section R502.3.2 Other floor joists. Amend to read as follows:
Table R502.3.1(2) shall be utilized to determine the maximum allowable span of floor joists that support all areas of the building, provided that the design live load does not exceed 40 psf and the design dead load does not exceed 10 psf.
Section R506.2.3 Vapor retarder. Delete this section.
Section R907.3 Recovering versus replacement. Delete item 4 and Exceptions 1 and 2.
Chapter 11: Remove this chapter from the one- and two- family dwelling code, however retain the language therefrom and adopt it as Appendix R with the following notation:
“[This appendix is informative and is not part of the code and words or phrases that indicate mandatory action (i.e. “shall”) in this Appendix R shall be read and construed as words or phrases that indicate recommended action (i.e. “should”].”
Section P2603.6.1 Sewer depth. Insert "48" inches in two locations.
Adopt Appendix $ - Radon Control Methods.
Adopt Appendix G – Swimming Pools, Spas, and Hot Tubs.
Delete AF103.3 Soil-gas-retarder.
Delete AF103.5.2 Soil-gas-retarder.
Source: Ord. No. 3055, § 2, 2-16-82; Ord. No. 3484, § 2, 6-15-87; Ord. No. 3794, § 2, 5-6-91; Ord. No. 4702, § 2, 10-20-03; Ord. No. 4973, § 2, 9-17-07; Ord. No. 5135, § 5, 9-7-10