(a) No street or city-owned parking lot shall be closed for a block party or other recreational or promotional activity unless an application is made to the chief of police and the following requirements are met:
(1) The chief of police or his or her designee, in response to the application, declares in writing that he or she does not object to the closing of the particular street or parking lot for a designated period of time;
(2) The individual or organization requesting the closure of the street or parking lot shall provide, not less than one (1) week prior to the closure of the street or parking lot, a certificate of insurance indicating the existence of a liability policy naming the City of Norfolk as an additional insured on said policy and providing the following coverages:
|a. Bodily Injury/Property Damage||$1,000,000 each occurrence|
|b. Personal Injury Damage||$1,000,000 each occurrence|
|c. Contractual Liability||$1,000,000 each occurrence|
|d. Products Liability & Completed Operations||$1,000,000 each occurrence|
|e. Fire Damage||$ 100,000 any one fire|
|f. Medical Expense||$ 5,000 any one person|
(3) The individual or organization requesting the closure shall sign a statement agreeing to hold the city harmless from any and all liability and indemnifying the city from any and all liability arising out of the closure of the street or parking lot;
(4) The individual or organization requesting the closure shall erect moveable white and orange Type I, Type II, or Type III barricades or orange and white drums, all meeting the requirements of the Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices which completely barricade the closed street or entrances to the city-owned parking lot.
(5) Any application to close a city-owned parking lot which contains reserved parking stalls shall be accompanied by a statement from all parking stall renters consenting to the closing during the hours specified in the application. The chief of police shall not approve any parking lot closure unless all parking stall renters consent to the closure.
(b) No street shall be closed for a parade without the prior approval of the city council which approval may include as conditions any or all requirements set forth in subsections (a)(2), (a)(3), and (a)(4) of this section or other conditions that the council may approve.
(c) Failure to comply with any of the provisions of this section shall constitute an offense.
Source: Ord. No. 4025, § 1, 9-19-94; Ord. No. 4565, § 1, 11-19-01; Ord. No. 4590, § 1, 6-17-02